Large Object scanningThe 3D scanning of large objects such as aircraft, vehicles, yachts, power generation equipment, large tooling and more is much different than scanning smaller objects. Alignment techniques and point cloud to polygon creation are much different. Many times large object 3D scanning requires the use of multiple 3D scanning technologies such as a laser tracker, long range scanner and a hand held scanner. Compiling these data sets into one accurate model can be a challenge for the novice user.
Furthermore generating a complex CAD model assembly from 100+ gigabytes of 3D scan data requires expensive and special hardware and advanced CAD modeling software and techniques.
Benefits of long range 3D scanning
- The most accurate method of capturing large complex shapes.
- Digital archiving – have a 3D representation of any object forever
- Safe non-contact method of capturing 3D data
- Generate accurate, fully featured CAD models of complex objects
- Ability to inspect “as built” to “as designed” models
- Scan objects from car size hundreds of feet in size quickly
Long Range 3D Scanning Deliverables
- Point cloud data – color or non-color – PTS, PTX, XYZ
- Polygon models – STL, PLY, OBJ, VRML
- 3D Surface model –IGES, STEP
- Feature based solid model & assemblies – IGES, STEP, ParaSolid, SolidWorks
- Hybrid CAD model (surfaces and solids) – IGES, STEP, ParaSolid, SolidWorks
- Photo realistic renderings